화면크기
인스타그램 바로가기 유튜브 바로가기 블로그 바로가기

Special Interview for Lim Sooju, (PM of Human Resources Development & Management Department, KOTRA)

Writer홍보협력팀

Tag

2023-06-23

View190

세종학당재단

NO.119 May 2023

Now, with KSIF

인터뷰 사진
Lim Sooju, PM of Human Resources Development & Management Department, KOTRA

> Facilitator between Korean commerce and the global market
> Signing a corporate agreement with KSIF to promote the Korean language

It is my pleasure to meet you, Ms. Lim! Could you start by telling our readers about the Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency (KOTRA)?

KOTRA stands as Korea's premier platform for trade and investment. Established in 1962, we've been driving the progress of Korean trade for six decades now. Our contribution lies in fostering Korea's economic growth by aiding Korean small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in discovering new business prospects and enhancing their global presence. This is particularly crucial given the current volatile global economy, the ongoing green and digital transformation, and the restructuring of the global supply chain.

인터뷰 사진

I’m eager to understand more about how extensive KOTRA’s international trade missions are and what they accomplish in their areas.

KOTRA has a network of 129 overseas trade centers located across 84 countries. Our international offices are tasked with identifying opportunities for Korean SMEs in the local market and organizing a range of programs to facilitate their growth. These programs include export marketing, investment promotion and entry, as well as missions and exhibitions The ultimate goal is to support these companies in their export and investment endeavors. Moreover, our activities are tailored to suit the specific circumstances of each location, whether that involves focusing on promising local industries or conducting detailed research.

KOTRA and the King Sejong Institute Foundation share the common characteristic of operating abroad. How do you perceive the Foundation's role in promoting the Korean language and culture overseas?

I once had the chance to work in Africa. During a dinner event at the embassy, I encountered a faculty member from the local KSI. That was my initial introduction to the Institute. At that time, I noticed that the influence and recognition of Hallyu, or the Korean Wave, in Africa was relatively minimal compared to other regions. As such, I believe that the role of the King Sejong Institute in propagating Korean language and culture abroad is significantly important. I consider the King Sejong Institute Foundation as the cultural counterpart to KOTRA's economic presence.

인터뷰 사진

As a result of the MOU with the King Sejong Institute Foundation, KOTRA has implemented an Online King Sejong Institute for its global staff at overseas trade centers. Has there been any previous Korean language training for your international staff? What benefits and outcomes do you anticipate from operating the Online King Sejong Institute in collaboration with the foundation?

Our global staff, employed by KOTRA's international trade offices, perform crucial functions, such as liaising with buyers and investors. However, their principal role is to assist our Korean SMEs. Therefore, the proficiency of our global staff in Korean is a key competence that can greatly enhance our operations and provide superior services to local companies.

Previously, due to budget constraints and the challenges of setting up Korean language training conditions, we couldn't offer language training to all 1,000 global staff across our 84 overseas trade centers. We had only been able to support those who showed an interest in learning Korean. But with this new agreement with the King Sejong Institute Foundation, we're optimistic that our global staff's desire for Korean language education will be met.

As they enhance their Korean language skills via the Online King Sejong Institute, it will foster better communication with KOTRA headquarters and superior business support for individual companies, thereby augmenting trade and investment performance.

인터뷰 사진

Finally, a question pertaining to the KSI students. There are many students at the King Sejong Institute studying Korean with an aspiration to work for a Korean company. Can you offer some advice on the skills they should cultivate, in addition to Korean language proficiency, to be considered for employment as a foreign global staff?

At present, we have a number of global staff members who are highly proficient in Korean, particularly in our overseas trade offices in regions like China and Southeast Asia. For those of you studying at the Sejong Institute, if you're able to converse in Korean in addition to your local language, it will definitely give you an advantage in securing a position at our trade offices or within Korean companies in the region. However, it's not just about language proficiency. Having a deep understanding and expertise in a specific domain is equally crucial.

For instance, at KOTRA, we're involved in assisting companies with their exports and investments, so it's fundamental to have a grasp on the industries we deal with, such as automotive parts, biotech, and ICT. Given that these technology markets are constantly evolving, if you're interested in being part of KOTRA's global staff, it's crucial to stay updated with the latest trends and continually develop your skills.

월간똑똑

Knock, knock!
Let me tell you the story of King Sejong Institute

a