화면크기
인스타그램 바로가기 유튜브 바로가기 블로그 바로가기

Special Interview for newscaster Kim Tae-gyu (Chairman of KBS Korean Language Research Association, Director of KBS Media Lounge)

Writer홍보협력팀

Tag

2023-05-17

View205

KSIF

NO.118 April 2023

Now, with KSIF

Newscaster Kim Tae-gyu (Chairman of KBS Korean Language Research Association, Director of KBS Media Lounge)

> Individuals who study and promote proper usage of the Korean language
> KBS Korean Language Research Society collaborating with KSIF

Hello, Mr. Kim Tae-gyu! First off, congratulations on the 40th anniversary of the KBS Korean Language Research Association. Could you please introduce to the readers of what the KBS Korean Language Research Association is all about?

Thank you for your kind words. The KBS Korean Language Research Association was established 40 years ago with the aim of preserving the rich heritage of the Korean language. However, it's not an easy task to uphold proper language while conducting broadcasts as an announcer, especially in today's environment with increasing confusion in our language. Despite these challenges, our hosts at the KBS Korean Language Research Association are committed to giving their best as experts in spoken language.

We're curious about the projects that the KBS Korean Language Research Association has been working on in relation to the Korean language, as it celebrates its 40th anniversary. Please share with us the key initiatives you are focusing on.

Founded in 1983 by KBS hosts, the KBS Korean Language Research Association has carried out numerous projects over the past 40 years to purify broadcast language and promote standard Korean. We strive to recognize the unique characteristics and importance of spoken language in broadcasting, working to correct its misuse and enhance people's communication skills, ultimately encouraging the use of refined Korean. Since 1986, we've operated the “Korean Language Studies Office,” the only official Korean language-related organization among domestic media companies, in accordance with the Basic Act for Korean National Language.

We're also distributing resources to spread proper Korean language use. Starting in 2022, we transitioned from paper posters to electronic display board posters. Some of our main projects include the "Visiting Proper Korean Teacher" initiative, the production of language purification broadcast programs, operating Korean language counseling phone lines, and textbook reading projects.

Both the Association and our Foundation seem to share a common goal in teaching proper and elegant language. We'd like to know your thoughts on the King Sejong Institute Foundation, which aims to promote the Korean language abroad, and the global KSIs.

The King Sejong Institute Foundation plays a crucial role in today's world where Korean culture is expanding its global presence through the Korean Wave. This is because they introduce the Korean language, the essence of the Korean Wave, to people worldwide. I have a vivid memory from the early 2010s when I was invited as a member of the KBS Korean Language Research Department to a KSI Teacher Workshop held in Beijing, China. My participation included hosting and lecturing, and the enthusiasm and dedication of the KSI’s Korean teachers and their contributions to the Korean language left a lasting impression on me.

In the past, the KBS Korean Language Research Association has collaborated with the King Sejong Institute Foundation to hold pronunciation correction classes. We're curious about your plans with the Foundation for this year. Do share any projects you'd like to work on together with the Sejong Institute Foundation.

I believe that our shared goal of preserving and promoting the invaluable legacy of the Korean language can lead to fruitful collaborations. The KBS Korean Language Research Association Media Lounge will take part as a host in the 2023 middle east·africa king sejong institute workshop held in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates, this May. Additionally, we look forward to creating a positive synergy by participating in the pronunciation correction classes for invited outstanding students scheduled for October and working together based on our respective strengths.

월간똑똑

Knock, knock!
Let me tell you the story of King Sejong Institute