화면크기
인스타그램 바로가기 유튜브 바로가기 블로그 바로가기

Introducing Navena M, a KSI student who has made her way into a global company.

Writer홍보협력팀

Tag

2023-06-23

View303

세종학당재단

NO.119 May 2023

KSI People we met in May

인터뷰 사진
Introducing Navena M, a KSI student who has made her way into a global company.

Sometimes, coincidence can indeed set the grand course of one's life. Navena M, a student from KSI Chennai, India, happened to experience the allure of the Korean language through a Korean drama she stumbled upon. She then embarked on self-study of the Korean language and, through her journey with the King Sejong Institute, she is now on the verge of beginning a Master's program at a Korean university. Let's meet Navena, who balances her work on machine learning at Amazon India with her studies at the King Sejong Institute.

Hello! Could you introduce yourself to the readers of Monthly Knock Knock?

Hello, I'm Navena, a 22-year-old from Chennai, one of India's most bustling metropolises. I currently find myself in the fascinating field of machine learning with Amazon India. I've also been a part of the King Sejong Institute since September 2019, having passed their entrance exam and taken Korean language classes. My dedication to my studies at the King Sejong Institute earned me the title of an Outstanding Student. I even bagged the top spot at the King Sejong Institute Korean Speech Contest, run by KSI Chennai 1. This led to my appearance on the KBS’s educational program “M&W,” where I got to share about Indian breakfast culture in the Korean language.

You seemed so fluent in Korean on the show when you were talking about Chennai. What motivated you to learn Korean, and how did you discover King Sejong Institute?

The year 2020 marked my graduation and the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. During this period, I found solace in Korean dramas, which kindled my curiosity about Korean culture. To my surprise, I noticed numerous similarities between the Korean and Tamil languages while watching these dramas. As I firmly believe that language is the gateway to culture, my growing interest in dramas led me to explore and understand the meanings of Korean words. Over a span of five months, I found myself gradually understanding and speaking Korean. It was a moment of immense pride and astonishment.

After a year of self-learning Korean, I felt a deep passion for the language. I sought to enhance my language proficiency, but self-study wasn't sufficient. That's when I found the King Sejong Institute, the perfect platform to hone my language skills, through an internet search. The online courses offered by KSI Chennai 1 allowed me to keep up with my Korean lessons without fail. I owe my improvement in the Korean language largely to doing the homework and learning from my mistakes.

Can you describe your role at Amazon India? Does your work involve Korean in any way?

After graduating from an Information Systems Management program in 2020, I found my calling in the Artificial Intelligence department at Amazon, working with machine learning data. Although my role doesn't directly involve Korean, I aspire to enroll in a master's program in management information systems in Korea, a country renowned for its high educational standards. I recently participated in an interview for the 2023 GKS Scholarship at Ewha Womans University and I am eagerly waiting for the final result.

If successful, I will begin my master's program in Korea in September 2023. My application for the GKS Scholarship was accompanied by my certificate from the King Sejong Institute. The institute's opportunities featured heavily in my selection process, and during the interview, I managed to answer all the questions in Korean. King Sejong Institute has significantly influenced my Korean language proficiency and my performance in the interview.

What aspects of learning Korean at KSI Chennai 1 did you enjoy? Were there any memorable experiences you'd like to share?

My Korean language learning journey at King Sejong Institute was holistic, encompassing speaking, reading, writing, and listening. The clear course structure and defined learning objectives ensured efficient learning. The detailed textbooks from King Sejong Institute were of great help in understanding grammar and vocabulary.

Further, KSI Chennai 1 boasts of excellent teachers and facilities. The institute provided ample opportunities to comprehend Korean culture through performances, visual arts, and more. The online classes, particularly, facilitated my learning journey despite my working schedule. Ms. Yoon Jung-eun's online classes were particularly engaging. Our class discussions and the homework greatly enriched my learning.

가One unforgettable moment was participating in the King Sejong Institute Korean Speech Contest. The opportunity to interact with the judges, who were native Korean speakers, was both enlightening and exhilarating. I was amazed at my ability to converse with them effortlessly. This experience instilled in me a newfound confidence, and I'm now committed to mastering the Korean language like a native speaker.

If you get a chance to visit Korea, what experiences are you looking forward to? Do you have any particular goals you'd like to achieve while in Korea?

At the top of my Korea bucket list is a visit to a traditional Korean market. I've heard incredible things about Gwangjang Market, famed for its delectable array of Korean delicacies. I'm keen to try foods such as bungeoppang (fish-shaped bun), bindaetteok (mung-bean pancake), and dak gangjeong (sweet and sour chicken). I'm also drawn to traditional culture and architecture. Given Korea's reputation for having preserved its traditions for centuries, I'm eager to immerse myself in its cultural legacy. As a traditional dancer in India, I'm especially captivated by the age-old Korean instruments, music, and dances.

Additionally, I would love to witness Korea's stunning natural landscapes, particularly Jeju Island. Korea is a peninsula country with 70% of its land covered by forests and the ocean on three sides, all of which are embodied in Jeju Island. I'm enticed by the island's beautiful beaches, exotic ambiance, and the majestic Hallasan Mountain, South Korea's highest peak.

While pursuing my master's program in Korea, I hope to explore all these cultural facets. Once I've completed my master's program successfully, I aspire to gain experience by working for a Korean company. Eventually, I aim to establish a thriving business that bridges Korea and India.
I would like to extend my gratitude to our Korean teacher, Ms. Yoon. Her encouragement to participate in the competition and her motivation to appear on KBS has been invaluable. I am also immensely grateful to the King Sejong Institute for presenting me with this incredible opportunity!

월간똑똑

Knock, knock!
Let me tell you the story of King Sejong Institute