화면크기
인스타그램 바로가기 유튜브 바로가기 블로그 바로가기

Angie Pérez, a KSI alumna who has joined POSCO Colombia driven by her love for Korea

Writer홍보협력팀

Tag

2023-05-17

View212

KSIF

NO.118 April 2023

KSI People we met in April

인터뷰 사진
Angie Pérez, a KSI alumna
who has joined POSCO Colombia driven by her love for Korea

In the eyes of Colombians, Korean companies have a high level of specialization and possess a workforce of dedicated and hardworking 'professional' employees. As such, securing a job at a Korean company is considered a significant challenge for local university students. Angie Pérez, who has successfully joined POSCO Colombia this year, encourages her young peers at KSIs to "give it a try.” Let's hear Angie's story, where she emphasizes that confidence is just as important as one's Korean language skills.

It is my pleasure to meet you, Ms. Pérez Could you please introduce yourself briefly and tell us about your current role at the POSCO Colombia? When did you start learning Korean?

My name is Angie Pérez, and I live in Bogota, the capital of Colombia. I majored in International Business Administration at Universidad de La Sabana in Colombia and joined POSCO Colombia right after graduating in March this year. I am currently in charge of international trading in the pipeline, construction, and chemical sectors. I am also involved in developing new hydrogen business projects.

I chose French as my third language in college because Korean was not offered as a subject. However, during the pandemic, I decided to study Korean at KSI Bogota. What inspired me to learn Korean? Since I was nine years old, I have been interested in Korean culture, music, and history. As I grew up, I thought about studying or working in Korea, which provides high-quality education. Also, I have always been interested in the close cooperation and brotherhood between Colombia and Korea.

What is the perception of Korean companies among Colombian university students? And, what was the reaction of your family and friends when you were accepted at POSCO Colombia?

Korean companies are known to employ dedicated and serious employees who do their best in their work. They are also known for requiring expertise in their fields and employing top experts, so working for a Korean company is a challenge for Colombian university students.
My family and friends were delighted with my employment at a Korean company. They knew that I had been working hard for years to achieve my goals, and working at POSCO would be an opportunity for me to achieve them personally and socially.

You must have put in a lot of effort to join POSCO. Was there a Korean language interview during the recruitment process? Please share your experience with other KSI students who want to get a job in a Korean company.

Yes, it was the result of years of effort. Many Korean companies abroad know that Korean is not as widely spoken as English, so they don't interview in Korean during the selection process. However, according to my boss, it was difficult to find someone in Colombia who could speak Korean and knew about Korea, so my understanding of the Korean language and the country had a positive impact on my recruitment.

To the young friends at KSIs, I would say, "Give it a try.” We often feel intimidated, thinking, "My Korean is not good enough," "I only know the basics," or "They definitely won't take me into account.” But based on my personal experience, even if you only know the basics or don't speak Korean well, the most important thing is your determination, interest, and confidence. So, give it a try. There's nothing to lose even if you fail. You will always learn something and gain experiences that will help you in the future. So believe in your abilities and work hard. If you don't give up, you can achieve your goals.

How did attending the King Sejong Institute help you in building your career? What is the most memorable aspect of studying the Korean language and Korean culture at KSI Bogota?

I think studying Korean at KSI Bogota played a crucial role in building my career. Before entering college, I set a clear goal that everything I studied should be related to Korean, and that's what I did. Studying Korean at KSI Bogota made me realize once again how much I love Korean and Korean culture, and it also helped me confirm that my decisions so far have been right.

The most memorable aspect of studying Korean at the King Sejong Institute was having passionate teachers who were committed to helping us improve our Korean skills. While studying at KSI, I met people with different goals but united by their interest in Korea. Another great aspect was the numerous cultural activities provided, which allowed us to feel closer to Korea and made our Korean language learning experience more dynamic and immersive.

What are your goals for working at POSCO and your future plans?

While working at POSCO, I plan to gain more work experience in my field by utilizing my college major, and improve my technical knowledge and Korean language skills in a work environment.
My future plan is to obtain a degree in Korea as a GKS scholarship recipient, find an opportunity to work in Korea, and then return to Colombia as an experienced professional. I would like to continue promoting the development of relations between Colombia and Korea. Although plans can change at any time, my focus will always be on connecting my home country of Colombia with Korea, which occupies a significant part of my heart and identity.

월간똑똑

Knock, knock!
Let me tell you the story of King Sejong Institute