화면크기
인스타그램 바로가기 유튜브 바로가기 블로그 바로가기

I hope the impression of our language and the country will sparkle like the shimmering water to KSI students. _Uhm Ji-In, Anchorwoman

Writer홍보협력팀

Tag

2022-06-29

View706

JUNE, 2022 KSIF Newsletter vol.108
Special Interview for KSIF’s 10th Anniversary_Sixth Guest : I hope the impression of our language and the country will sparkle like the shimmering water to KSI students. _Uhm Ji-In,, Anchorwoman

There is a quiz show every Monday evening that is both helpful and fun at the same time. It is called Woorimal Battle, one of the main programs produced by KBS 1. Most educational programs have a rather heavy image, but this one is a bit different. In particular, Uhm Ji-In hosted the show for 12 years and alternated tension and witty comments. People also named her the mascot of the program. After a ceaseless journey, she is leaving the program to take a break. Countless viewers of the show expressed their regret of the fact that they won't be able to see her communicating with the audience. KSIF shared a conversation with the anchorwoman on her feelings after hosting Woorimal Battle for such a long time for the audience, as well as the beauty of the Korean language.

Nice to meet you. As a fan of Woorimal Battle, I feel sad about you leaving the show. I’m sure many people will remember the show and you for a long time. Before we start the interview, I would like to ask your feelings about the show and also how you are doing these days.

Hello. It’s a great pleasure to meet you. Like you’ve said, I hosted Woorimal Battle for more than 10 years, actually 12 years. I used to be there every Monday evening, but now that I’ve returned as a member of the audience, I’m experiencing mixed feelings. I miss those days sometimes, then have fun watching the show and guessing the answers other times. I was hosting the program when I was a newbie at the network, even before I got married, then throughout the course of getting married, giving birth and raising my children. The show was a part of every milestone in my life. Leaving this program has brought me to a big turning point. It didn’t feel real until people started to call me or text me. I’m part of the audience now. A lot of people sent me messages after noticing that I wasn’t there anymore. A large portion of their messages mentioned that they felt sorry that they can no longer spend Monday evenings with their family answering the quiz questions that I gave them. I read each and every message sent to me and realized that I’ve received an overwhelming amount of love from so many people all those years.

Like I mentioned shortly in my last show, I did take a break for a short maternity leave to give birth to my two children, but I’ve never taken childcare leave and stayed with the show for 12 years. This break is for me to spend some time with my family.

Woorimal Battle is a program dedicated to the Korean language. The sound of it feels somewhat difficult and makes me feel like I should be serious. What do you think is the charm behind all the love from the public?

I think the steady support comes from the fact that it’s the Korean language, our language. As we speak, we are communicating using our language like the way we breathe air. Because everyone knows and uses the language, even a child can try to answer the quizzes or games and have fun. In my family, for instance, my kindergarten kid and grandmother compete over who gets more answers and enjoy the show together. I think this is the charm. Anyone who knows our language is welcome to enjoy the show without any barriers. The quiz is also an element that keeps the program from feeling too serious or heavy.
And nowadays, there are even more opportunities to post something on social media. People would have worried about the spelling or punctuation at least once before uploading your post. These worries can be resolved through the show while also having fun. I believe that’s what has led the program to continue for almost 20 years.

Uhm Ji-In photo image
Woorimal Battle is a long-running program enjoyed regardless of gender and age. What were you most cautious about during the 12 years of hosting the show?

The words. It’s a program where you have to be careful with every phrase. I tried not to use slang or jargon, of course. And I switched the common loanwords to Korean words, for example, “game buzzer” to “nureum danchu,” “online” to “nurijib,” and “gift set” to “seonmool kkureomi.” Purified words may sound unfamiliar when you first hear it on a TV show. But I was able to sense that such discomfort of the audience was vanishing as they became more exposed to the terms naturally blended into the sentences. Our language is being destroyed through the TV shows these days. The producers of Woorimal Battle and I are all trying our best to protect the language as much as possible, at least on this show. However, you cannot give up the fun, so I think it was critical to find a balance in between.

People from various generations and countries have graced the show. You have met so many people, but is there any particular cast member you remember? There was a time when I was surprised to see an international participant becoming the “Honorary Master.”

You are right. It amazed me that there were so many non-Koreans who love and enjoy the show. I realized that a great number of people like the Korean language and love this country while hosting the show. Their Korean fluency startled me a good number of times. A lot of the times, their pronunciation is perfect and you can’t tell whether this person is from Korea or outside the country just by listening to them speaking. Not only the Honorary Master, but there were also foreigners who competed with Koreans in the general preliminary rounds for Woorimal Battle and won. One of them had been studying Korean during the short breaks in between work, and told me that the show is a joy of life. I remember all other Koreans who joined the show that day acknowledging the excellent proficiency.

Compared to when the show was launched in 2003, the stature of the Korean language overseas has changed in 2022. It was unimaginable to see a foreigner participating in Woorimal Battle back in 2003, but now there are a lot of them among the audience and the cast. Was there any particular case that made you notice such change? And did this affect the way you see the Korean language?

You barely experience anything while you are doing the show solely with Korean contenders, but with the presence of foreign participants, you can notice the fact that the stature of our language has changed. In the past, international contenders were mostly students who came to study in Korea. Now though, there is an increasing number of foreign people who are interested in the language and want to learn the language.

I’ve been realizing the changed position of our language within the 1-2 months after quitting the show and taking a break. I started living in Japan where my family lives right now. It’s been over two years since my last visit due to COVID-19. And there, I feel it in my bones that there was a great transition to the stature of our country and language. The level of attention to our culture in Japan has soared within the past 1-2 years, which was quite astonishing for me. When I’m talking with my family, there is a great curiosity from Japanese people around us. They say things like, “Wow, I wish I could speak Korean like that,” or “I wish I understood what they are saying in Korean.” It was clear that the recent K-wave has expanded from music and drama to the attention to the Republic of Korea and its language.

Uhm Ji-In photo image
KSIF promotes Korean language in overseas countries. We are growingly convinced about the importance of the role KSIF plays in this time as the Korean language and culture are seeing a lot of love and interest. I wonder if you’re aware of KSIF and I would also like to hear about your thoughts on what it does.

Yes. I know about KSIF. I think that the role of institutions dedicated to spreading the Korean language overseas, like KSI, is extra important these days as our language is gaining more stature. There has to be a place to deliver the language in an easier, diversified yet accurate manner when people abroad take an interest in and approach the Korean language. I believe that KSI is doing an excellent job in that role since it has been promoting Korean all across the world based on a long-developed experience.

KSI offers several activities, but I was impressed to see international students delivering our culture and language in their own mother tongue on their social media as journalists. It was particularly wonderful that the institution not only teaches our language but also allows those interested in our culture to inform people around them about our culture and invite them to enjoy, like a butterfly effect.

Personally, I’m with the KBS Anchor Team where people care about the Korean language, and I’ve been hosting a show related to our language for over 10 years. So, I was pondering ways to spread the language accurately overseas. Being outside Korea makes me realize the value of our language. I would love to find a place where I can donate my talent whether it be KSI or in any other form while I stay in Japan.

Is there any Korean word you particularly remember from the quizzes you gave in Woorimal Battle that you’d like to introduce to KSI students?

I love this beautiful Korean word which is “yoonseul.” It refers to the ripples of water sparkling with the reflection of sunlight or moonlight. Isn’t the sunlight sprinkled over a river, ocean or a lake around sunset just beautiful? It’s a word that expresses this beauty. I’d like to introduce KSI students the word “yoonseul” in the hope that their impression of Korea and its language will shine like the shimmering water.

KSIF is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year. I would like your last word to celebrate this event

I understand more than enough that it’s not an easy thing to stay in one place for 10 years to preserve our language. It’s about time things are on track and you may get stuck in a rut. I hope this becomes a turning point for KSIF to take a step into a brighter and bigger future. Congratulations for the 10th anniversary!

I’d like to introduce KSI students the word “yoonseul” in the hope that their impression of Korea and its language will shine like the shimmering water.