인스타그램 바로가기 유튜브 바로가기 블로그 바로가기

KSIF Provides ‘Korean Language Courses for Korea Adoptees Overseas’

Writer홍보협력팀

Tag

2022-04-15

View801

KSIF Newsletter April, 2022 vol.106
KSIF Now
The KSIF offers the “Korean Language Courses for International Korean Adoptees” for 16 weeks in the Education Hall on the 7th floor.

KSIF Provides ‘Korean Language Courses for Korea Adoptees Overseas’

1. Offering Korean language and culture courses for 20 Korean adoptees living in Korea
  2. To realize social values for people at all socio-economic levels as a public institution

The KSIF launched a Korean language and culture program for Koreans who had been adopted overseas and resettled in Korea on March 21, which will be held in the Education Hall on the 7th floor of the KSIF building.

In Feb., the KSIF opened a Korean language and culture program for foreigners in Korea for the first time in accordance with the MOU it signed with the National Center for the Rights of the Child (NCRC) to systematically provide Korean adoptees with Korean language education.

interviewed them to assess their Korean proficiency. Based on the interview results, the KSIF offered its four online and offline courses for elementary and intermediary levels for 16 weeks from Mar. 21 to July 8. The KSIF plans to offer Korean culture courses on Korean food and K-beauty, among others, as well. The KSIF will continue to expand the program for Korean adoptees in Korea, who are known to number over 1,000.

The KSIF expects that this systematic Korean language program will help Korean adoptees, who often experience ethnic identity confusion and feel trapped between two different cultures, experience Korean culture and ultimately foster self-esteem. The KSIF also supports the students who learn Korean with the aim of settling in Korea to achieve practical goals such as finding jobs by teaching them Korean using “Business Korean” textbooks.

Erin, who came from the United States, said, “Learning Korean was difficult for me but now I’m very pleased to have the opportunity to keep learning Korean,” adding, “I will study hard as I want to know much more about Korean history and culture.”

Lee Hai-young, president of the KSIF, hopes that the Korean language program, which is the first of its kind in Korea to be launched to coincide with the KSIF’s 10th anniversary, will help international Korean adoptees better understand Korea and fulfill their expectations. She said that the KSIF would expand the Korean language and culture programs for marriage-based immigrants, repatriating children, and socially isolated people, ultimately fulfilling its social responsibility as a public institution.

Sejong Korean image
▲ Sejong Korean, the textbook used in class