화면크기
인스타그램 바로가기 유튜브 바로가기 블로그 바로가기

As We Thought, and As We Said

Writer홍보협력팀

Tag

2021-11-22

View796

No. 101 November 2021
Nuri friends room The Most Special Relationship As We Thought, and As We Said : Teacher Kim Ji-na & Students of Intermediate 2A

First place of work, first class, and first students. Like everyone else, the teachers at KSI also have special “first” memories they cannot forget. The same goes for Teacher Kim Ji-na. Let us hear about her "first memory" with the students of Intermediate 2A class at KSI Osh 1 in Kyrgyzstan, her first place of work.

The First Time

Teacher Kim Ji-na:
It’s been four years since I have been working as a teacher at King Sejong Institute. My first job was at KSI Osh 1, Kyrgyzstan. Now I am relocated and working at KSI at KCC Philippines since January 2021. Although I am creating pleasant memories in this new place, I still sometimes miss KSI Osh 1, as I spent three long years there. The first classes I had at KSI Osh 1 was Beginning 1A, 1B, and Intermediate 2A. I was taking my first steps as a teacher, so I expected to teach only beginner-level students, naturally. However, because there was no teacher to teach the Intermediate 2A class at the time, I also got the opportunity to teach the intermediate level students. I was surprised at their fluent Korean in the first class. Most of them were female college students, and they said the reason they started learning Korean was the group EXO. It was impressive that they were so enthusiastic that they would watch all Korean entertainment shows every week. The first question they asked was “Who is your favorite idol?” To be honest, I wasn’t very interested in idols, and I admitted that to them truthfully. Then they were eager to tell me about the idols they liked. After talking with them for a long time, I am now able to distinguish the names and faces of all EXO members. Not only that, but I am also now watching Korean entertainment shows that I didn’t watch before. As we shared the Korean culture we liked, and talked about our dreams, we became more than just teacher and students − we actually became friends for life.

Aliya:
I first encountered K-pop when I was in high school, and EXO was the most popular idol group at the time. I wondered what the lyrics meant while listening to their songs, so I started studying Korean. I started attending KSI Osh 1 in 2016 through a friend, and I was very lucky to have met Teacher Kim Ji-na here. While I was worrying about my future, Teacher Kim took me to a fine restaurant to listen to all my concerns, and gave me valuable advice. I was very touched by everything she said. It became the motivation for me until I succeeded in going to study in Korea.

Ainazik:
Classes with Teacher Kim Ji-na were always fun. To be honest, there are times when Korean classes are boring because I take them almost every day. But I always waited for Teacher Kim’s classes. She doesn’t simply use the textbooks, but adds a unique sense of fun to her explanations. She had always reached out to the students, sometimes like an old friend, sometimes like a mentor, to guide one through life. Teacher Kim is the favorite teacher of all students in Intermediate 2A class.

비주얼 이미지

Alina:
I watched Dae Jang Geum when I was young, and I was determined to learn Korean when I grew up. I had forgotten about it until I became interested in Korean again through EXO in middle school. I taught myself until I went to college, and started studying Korean in earnest by going to the King Sejong Institute. I not only gained knowledge of Korean language and culture by going to KSI, but my view of the world also widened and I became more confident. I also formed good relationships, including with Teacher Kim Ji-na. As she did to Ainazik, she gave me a lot of advice as a more mature person. She had just been assigned here and didn’t really know much about me, but she opened her heart and listened to my concerns. And she made me have a dream. I would like to teach Korean language and culture to learners around the world, just like Teacher Kim.

Aygerim:
Just like Alina, I loved Dae Jang Geum so much that I watched every episode. I became interested in Korean historical dramas, and that naturally led to my interest in Korean history. And I also became interested in Korea"s modern history and K-pop. When I went to college, I learned about KSI. Through my encounter with KSI, my life went in an unexpected direction. I discovered a new dream, studying in Korea. Teacher Kim Ji-na has helped me through a lot in the process. During the summer vacation of 2018, I stayed at school, unlike other students who went back home. And I took classes with Teacher Kim every day. We also took walks, watched movies, and had meals together. During that time, Teacher Kim gave me a lot of useful advice. Every word she said made me more determined. I’m sure that everyone from Intermediate 2A class, including me, cannot forget the heartfelt teachings we received from Teacher Kim.

As You Say

Teacher Kim Ji-na:
Most of the students at KSI Osh 1 study Korean with the goal of continuing their studies in Korea. Maybe this is because it’s not so easy to get a job after graduating from university due to the difficult economic situation. So, a lot of young people are learning foreign languages, trying to look for a job outside the country. It was the same for the learners in Intermediate 2A. Everyone did their best to achieve their goal of studying in Korea. I could feel their passion, and that"s why I did more to prepare for the classes. The most memorable thing is the class on grammar “(으)ㄴ/는 대로 (As one ~(verb))” in the textbook Sejong Korean 7. We learned grammar by singing along the song “As you say” by Sagging Snails. There’s a part that goes, “As you decide, as you think, as you say, things could happen." I did not know the lyrics at the time. As we sang, we realized again that things could happen as we decide, as we think, and as we say. And we promised to meet again in Korea, after we achieve our dreams.

Aliya:
When I first applied to KSI Osh 1, I challenged myself thinking, let’s just try. I thought that just by doing what I had in mind, I was a step closer to my goal. That is how I became a student at KSI, had a new dream, and achieved the goal of studying in Korea. Actually, I had been admitted to Ewha Womans University in the first half of 2019, but I did not enroll as I did not receive a full scholarship. But I didn’t give up, I tried again in the second half, and I was admitted to Sogang University with a full scholarship. Like the song we sang with Teacher Kim, the dream came true, as I decided, as I thought, and as I said.

Aygerim:
I was also able to come to Korea by passing the KGSP program in 2019. I studied the language for a year at Silla University in Busan, and have been attending Namseoul University since 2020. I am very happy to be able to do things in Korea that I’ve been dreaming of since I was in Kyrgyzstan. It’s fun even to study with classmates and study for tests all night. In difficult moments, I think of the lyrics of the song that I sang with Teacher Kim and take courage to try again. To me, Teacher Kim is a close friend, a big sister, and a special person that gave me the courage to get through difficulties in life.

Ainazik:
In every class, Teacher Kim said that we have talents and competence and made us believe that if we tried, we could achieve the goal of studying in Korea. And as she said, we were all able to come to Korea. I know that we are going through difficulties with the spread of COVID-19, but if we wait it out with a positive attitude, won’t we all be able to regain our old lives one day? I hope to meet more Korean friends and spend time together soon.

비주얼 이미지 Us, Again

Teacher Kim Ji-na:
In mid-August last year, I was finally able to meet the students from Intermediate 2A again in Korea. We couldn’t all meet up, because we all went to different schools and lived in different regions, but those of use who could do so made a plan to meet up. Seeing the students now in college and fulfilling their dreams like in the song we sang in class made me so happy. We had fun together, eating salad and talking in a pretty cafe. It was my happiest and most rewarding moment as a teacher.

Alina:
Spending time with Teacher Kim allowed me to relieve the stress from my busy life as a student abroad. It was just fun and joyful talking about the memories of the past. Teacher Kim was worried about us, as if it were her own life, whether we were adjusting well to life in Korea, and if there were any difficulties. It warmed my heart to be able to play the baby and be loved, when we were all grown up. She is my teacher and the guide in life. I will continue trying hard to be loved by her.

Ainazik:
When we met again, we talked a lot about the life in Korea. I praised the delivery culture of Korea. It was amazing to see that you can deliver anything, from anywhere, anytime. I was surprised that the food you ordered was delivered in front of the door in thirty minutes. Aygerim also thought the same. She was surprised to experience the “ppalli ppalli” culture that she’d only heard about. We are trying to learn the good things from Korean culture, as we get used to it. We will remember the sincere support and guidance Teacher Kim gave us, and continue moving toward our dreams.

Aygerim:
As Ainazik said, we talked a lot about the life in Korea when we met. We also talked about the memories of Kyrgyzstan. Although it was a short time, I was happy even afterwards just by remembering it.

Aliya:
When we were in KSI Osh 1, Teacher Kim taught us the song called “As you say.” And we promised to meet again in a year in Seoul. I was happy that I could keep the promise. If it weren’t for Teacher Kim, I wouldn’t be here now. I’d like to take this opportunity to thank her.

Teacher Kim Ji-na:
We still ask about each other through SNS now. We congratulate each other when there’s a happy occasion, and talk with each other when there are difficulties, through messages. Sometimes, I correct the grammatical errors on their school assignments. There is still the class of Intermediate 2A.

“Dear students from Intermediate 2A! I knew that the life in Korea wouldn’t be easy, but I hope you can all achieve your dreams, as you have been until now. The reason I exist is for you guys. I will always be there for you! I love you!”

비주얼 이미지 Here are the students from Intermediate 2A, heading for new dreams in Korea

Aygerim:
My curiosity about a new language led me to King Sejong Institute, and it gave me an opportunity for a new beginning. I came to Korea in 2019, by getting into the KGSP program. I took language courses for a year at Silla University in Busan, and now I’m majoring in architectural engineering in Namseoul University. I regret that most of the classes have been switched to online due to the spread of COVID-19, but I am studying hard, believing that things will get better soon. My name Aygerim means full moon. Since there’s a saying that if you make a wish on a full moon, your wish will be granted, I believe that my dream will come true.

비주얼 이미지

Ainazik:
I came to Korea last year, and am now majoring in computer software at Namseoul University. I learned Korean at KSI from the third year in middle school, and studying in Korea naturally became my goal. King Sejong Institute was the choice that changed my future. And I am glad that I made that choice. There’s no problem making everyday conversations, but the vocabulary related to my major is hard and I have difficulties listening to the lectures. I believe I will get used to it soon if I try harder. Learning about Korean culture, as well as the language, in KSI is helping me a lot in adjusting to life in Korea. I want to keep studying and participate in the internship at an IT company. And I want to stay after graduating and get a job in Korea.

Alina:
I am on a leave from Korean National University of Arts. When I was lost after high school, not knowing what to do, King Sejong Institute became a light of hope for me. My dark, unclear life became lighter and clearer through KSI, and enabled me on a new stage of Korea. In the beginning of my study abroad, there was the problem of cultural differences, and all I could think of was that it was hard. However, I met many good people just like Teacher Kim Ji-na. My classmates were very kind to me, although I was a lot older and had many shortcomings. When I graduate, I would like to go to other countries and spread Korean language and culture to more people.

비주얼 이미지

Aliya:
King Sejong Institute made me realize a dream and start a family. I didn’t have any plan for the future before, but I discovered a big dream of studying in Korea. Thanks to that, I fulfilled my goal and now I’m majoring in business at Sogang University. Moreover, I met precious friends of life that I can call my family. Although there are inconveniences due to the spread of COVID-19, I am having fun every day because I live with roommates. I’m in the second year now, but I want to go to another country as an exchange student, and experience more things in the next two years. I also want to participate in an internship at a Korean company during vacation. With those experiences, I want to get a job at a Korean company after graduating and be recognized for my work.