Director Sainbilegt of KSI Ulaanbaatar2

Writer홍보협력팀

Tag

2021-08-13

View729

KSIF News Letter August 2021, No.98
Nuri Friends Room Director Sainbilegt of KSI Ulaanbaatar 2

The power to continue without giving up

Since February last year, Mongolia has started to strengthen its COVID-19 prevention by closing its borders, etc. In response to this, KSI Ulaanbaatar 2 has quickly switched to on-line education. This year, in recognition of its achievements, it was selected as the Best Institute at the on-line workshop in Asia. This was the result of not giving up and continuing their work. Let us look back on the journey that KSI Ulaanbaatar 2 has taken with director Sainbilegt.

What efforts did you make for the institute to open? 

When KSI Ulaanbaatar 2 was established, I was working as the Head of the Department of Korean Studies at the National University of Mongolia. The department of Korean studies at the National University of Mongolia was established in 1991, and had been in active relationship with Kongju National University from 2004 through a business agreement. In 2007, the establishment of King Sejong Institute by Jo Sung-hwan was suggested, he is currently the Secretary at Kongju National University, and was working in the Communications and Cooperation Division at the time. It was good news for students who were interested in the Korean language and culture. There was no reason to hesitate. On October 1, 2007, the National University of Mongolia, Kongju National University, and the National Institute for Korean Language made a three-way agreement, and KSI Ulaanbaatar 2 was opened.
As the National University of Mongolia was already operating the Korean Studies Department systematically, there was no major difficulty. It provided a foundation for preparing educational facilities and materials and training teachers. However, there were things that were not covered in detail in the agreement, and there were still problems finding the solutions for them. When this happens, I always emphasize on positive thinking and willingness. We may be a little slow, but if you don’t give up or you don’t get discouraged, you will get to your goal someday. This is the secret to how KSI Ulaanbaatar 2 has steadily grown.

Business agreement signed on October 1, 2007, between the National University of Mongolia, Kongju National University and the National Institute of Korean Language
▲ Business agreement signed on October 1, 2007, between the National University of Mongolia, Kongju National University and the National Institute of Korean Language

How is the institute being operated currently?

As of last year, the total number of students in our institute was 567, of which 341 had jobs and 110 were college students. 116 are students of varying designations. Most of them are aiming to study in Korea in the future. In fact, many students who started from the beginner level have steadily improved their skills to the intermediate level, fulfilling their dreams to study in Korea. However, as the spread of COVID-19 continued, it was difficult for both KSI and the students. It was difficult to give classes on-line in an environment with poor internet. We did our best to compensate for the lack of educational equipment and continued to promote on-line education to the students.
We made guides and videos for the operating staff and teachers to help them familiarize themselves with on-line education. As a result, we were able to switch to on-line education quickly and stably. Our institute has also been developing and operating various educational courses on our own for a long time. For example, in addition to regular Korean language course, we also offer a cultural education course using the “Sejong Korean Culture” textbook, TOPIK classes, and Korean conversation classes. For the past two years, we have been offering programs for employees in financial institutions. With this, we are also planning to open business Korean classes or travel Korean classes.

December 4, 2019. Students at National High School No. 114 who learned Korean language through a special project
▲ December 4, 2019. Students at National High School No. 114 who learned Korean language through a special project

Tell us about a student you remember the most. 

Every moment that you spend with students is special. However, if I had to choose one, I would pick a girl named Anu. Anu has made a lot achievement this year. She finished the intermediate level in June, and won the grand prize on the Korean Speech Contest. Her speech on the podium was very impressive. It was about a proverb that I gave to the students at the speech contest last year. I used the Mongolian proverb, “When sixty old women compete, one must win.”. The meaning of the proverb is that, “Even without a big effort, there must be a winner in a competition.”. She might have felt a lot from that short proverb. Anu said she was determined to win, thinking that, “I will do my best next year to win, and make myself proud.”. As a result of her efforts, she won the Grand Prize. Seeing her giving the acceptance speech in tears, I realized again the simple truth that only those who do their best all the time can succeed. And I also realized how important the words of a teacher are to the students.

What was the most rewarding moment you had as the director of the institute?

For the past two years, we have been carrying out special projects for low-income high school students in the suburb of Ulaanbaatar. Every time I see the passion in the students’ eyes, I feel rewarded. I would like to continue to help them dream of their future through the Korean language and culture. I also feel happy holding various events with the students and participating in them. We have held various events such as the Korean-Mongolian traditional costume fashion show, character makeup, K-pop talent show, and planting trees. We could understand each other and share our hearts when preparing for these events together. There is one thing I’d like to tell you. I hope the students remember that their beautiful memories are made from the hard work of many people, including the teachers and the facilitators.

Students at KSI Ulaanbaatar 2 enjoying the Korean-Mongolian traditional costume fashion show
▲ Students at KSI Ulaanbaatar 2 enjoying the Korean-Mongolian traditional costume fashion show

How should the role of the King Sejong Institute change as the interest in the Korean culture is rising around the world?

Currently, the young people of Ulaanbaatar are very much interested in the various Korean cultures such as K-drama, K-pop, and K-fashion. More people are visiting Korean restaurants to have Korean food, or to make it at home. However, there are people who certainly criticize the Korean wave. I believe the proper cultural communication should be based on respect for each other. I think the role of KSI is to provide interesting and useful knowledge and information for everyone while respecting the local culture.

Lastly, do you have anything to say to the members of KSI around the world?

There is an old saying, “United we stand, divided we fall.” Until now, KSI has been creating a value through the Korean language and culture, and furthermore, has pursued the universal values of mankind. However, there is a different view that this is a one-sided export of the Korean culture. Now, we must pursue a two-way exchange of culture with the world and seek to grow together as partners. When different languages and cultures unite as one, we would truly have the power. Until then, we will not give up, and we will keep going forward!

Students at KSI Ulaanbaatar 2 dancing to K-pop music on the day of the festival
▲ Students at KSI Ulaanbaatar 2 dancing to K-pop music on the day of the festival