화면크기
인스타그램 바로가기 유튜브 바로가기 블로그 바로가기

Preliminary Rounds for the 2021 KSI Korean Speech and Writing Contests

Writer홍보협력팀

Tag

2021-08-13

View567

KSIF News Letter August 2021, No.98
KSIF Now Preliminary Rounds for the 2021 KSI Korean Speech and Writing Contests Image

Preliminary Rounds for the 2021 KSI Korean Speech and Writing Contests

1. Rounds for selecting outstanding learners at KSI around the world
  2. Held online, non-face-to-face, in response to COVID-19

The King Sejong Institute Foundation (President: Kang Hyounhwa, hereinafter KSIF) held the preliminary rounds for the 2021 KSI Korean Speech and Writing Contests from May to July. The KSI Korean Speech and Writing Contests are held every year through KSI worldwide, for overseas Korean learners to compete with each other on their language-proficiency, and to celebrate the birth of King Sejong (May 15), the founder of Hangeul. Due to the prolonged COVID-19 situation, most of the preliminary rounds of the KSI contests have been held online.

For this year’s contests, two topics were proposed for each category. The topics for the speech contest were: “Korean culture that was unknown only to me,” and “Let me tell you about my favorite Korean word” ─ while the topics in writing were “The tourist spot that I want to visit in Korea” and “The charm of Korea that I want to tell others about.” The participants chose one of the two topics to display their skills.

After the competition, a KSI staff member remarked, “I was really able to feel the interest of people around the world in Korean language and culture, seeing the participants who showed excellent Korean skills.” The participants have also expressed their desire to visit Korea when the COVID-19 situation is eventually over.

Each year, KSIF has selected the preliminary round participants of each KSI as outstanding learners, and provided them with various opportunities to experience Korean culture, including invitations to Korea in commemoration of Hangeul Day. In addition, the winners of the final rounds for each contest will be given bigger and more diverse benefits, including a scholarship study at a Korean university, etc.

KSIF plans to hold the final contests as from August this year. However, as the COVID-19 pandemic has been continuing since last year, it will be difficult to invite outstanding learners for training. KSIF is thus considering holding the final competition online, and providing additional prizes that are equivalent to receiving an invitation to visit Korea.

Preliminary Rounds for the 2021 KSI Korean Speech and Writing Contests Image