화면크기
인스타그램 바로가기 유튜브 바로가기 블로그 바로가기

Korean as the Language of My Mind, Discovered in Las Palmas, Spain

Writer홍보협력팀

Tag

2021-12-15

View509

KSIF Newsletter Vol.102 Dec, 2021
KSI Story Korean as the Language of My Mind, Discovered in Las Palmas, Spain - Miriam Ernandes Moreno

The KISF held a video contest on “The Korean I discovered” as the theme. Here we introduce the Korean carved in the heart of Miriam, who attends the KSI on the Atlantic Ocean island of Las Palmas, Spain.

My journey to the discovery of Korea began in August 2019. At that time, I felt like a butterfly that stopped flying without knowing where to fly. I felt as if I was living without purpose, and that is why the Korean language brought vitality into my life like a fresh breeze.

When I saw a Korean drama on TV, I didn’t understand much ─ but, strangely enough, it looked familiar. I didn’t know what was going on with me.

Hangeul vowels are said to be related to nature. The dot is the sky, while the “ㅣ” stands for people and the “ㅡ” represents the Earth. When I heard this story, I thought that Hangeul had a deep relationship with everything around me. Hangeul is the language of “relationship” and the language of “we.” While Spanish focuses on “I,” Korean does not have a boundary between “I” and “we.” Our school, our family, our team, and the like. I was touched to hear the word “we.”

I am always grateful that Korean came into my life. The Korean language transcends national borders and wins the hearts of others. It has conquered my heart as well!

This is the Korean language, the language of my heart I discovered.

동영상 제작 일지

Video production log

Upon hearing about the contest, I thought it would be a great opportunity to talk about my feelings about the Korean language. The title “Korea in My Heart I Discovered in Gran Canaria” immediately came to mind. And I tried to picture Korea and myself, which I discovered in Gran Canaria and at the King Sejong Institute in it.

The video I submitted for the contest has a very special meaning for me because it captures what the Korean language means to me, and it contains a very personal story. While making the video, I found that my interest in Korea and the Korean language is growing even further.

I tried to capture an aspect of Korean that exists in Gran Canaria in the video with the Moya neighborhood, with KSI, and the Kimchi Festival as the background. At first, I wanted to shoot the video in several Korean restaurants in Gran Canaria, such as the Nomiya Restaurant and Mandu Restaurant. However, the restaurants were closed on the day I wanted to shoot, so I had to find other places. When I was filming in the moya forest, I got bruises from bug bites all over my body.

The planes at the beginning and end of the video were taken when I did an internship in journalism at the airport last September. I wanted to capture visually my voyage of discovery to Korea over the past two years. The butterfly at the beginning and the end seems to represent me, as it is preparing to go out to the world while absorbing sunlight. To me, the Korean language was the sunlight. It brightened up my life when I needed it most, and helped me move forward with my life.

▲ Miriam’s Korean as the Language of My Mind, Discovered in Las Palmas, Spain