Publication of Casebook of Teachers Dispatched Abroad

Writer뉴스레터

Tag

2021-02-16

View336

KSIF Newsletter
No. 92 | February 2021

KSIF Publishes a Casebook of Teachers Dispatched Abroad

Records of teachers dispatched to KSIs worldwide in 2020 with stories from 27 teachers
Kim Mijung, “Inspired by the learners’ passion to learn Korean even in substandard conditions”

The King Sejong Institute Foundation (KSIF) is set to publish a casebook to share the stories of teachers who have been dispatched to KSIs across the world.

The casebook contains stories from 27 teachers regarding their experiences while working at overseas KSIs in 2020. They talked about the learners they taught, recalled memories they created with their fellow teachers, and expressed their love for the KSIs they worked at.

“Learners were committed to learning Korean even in substandard conditions without computers…”

Kim Mijung who taught at KSI Tashkent, Uzbekistan recalls how the learners were incredibly dedicated to learning Korean even in a substandard situation.

“We switched to online classes starting in the second term, and many learners expressed hardship at first. They weren’t able to join the online classes because they either had no Internet access at home or experienced frequent power outage. Some couldn’t even apply because they didn’t have a smartphone or laptop. Despite these challenges, they either took the class in their neighbor’s home or they went to their classmate’s house where there was one computer for three of them to share, and this reaffirmed that they were passionate about learning Korean even in such substandard conditions.”

Amid the transition to online classes prompted by the spread of COVID-19, the learners in Tashkent who demonstrated their dedication to learning Korean and their teacher Kim Mijung‘s care and concern became an inspiration to others.

photo

▲ Learners at KSI Tashkent showing the handwritten expressions of encouragement they learned in an online class.

“The Korean Language Instilling Dreams in a Vietnamese Learner”

Park Tae-ho, a teacher at KSI Hanoi I, Vietnam, is cheering on one of the learners in his class in following her dreams.

“Last June when the COVID-19 situation was becoming more stable in Vietnam, our KSI held a Korean speech contest. Quynh, a learner at KSI Hanoi I, had been dreaming of studying in Korea, and she entered the contest with hopes that she could realize her dream if she won an award. I gave my all guiding her so that she could attain her dream. Ultimately, she won first prize at the speech contest and gained the opportunity to go to Korea, but the worsening COVID-19 situation prevented her. It was extremely unfortunate, but she still hasn’t given up her dream. She is teaching a beginner’s class at a Korean language academy in Hanoi and waiting for the day when she can finally go to Korea.”

The case from KSI Hanoi I is a story of Quynh, a learner whose dreams budded from her love of the Korean language, and her teacher, Park Tae-ho, who has been providing her with unwavering support.

KSIF dispatched 180 teachers to 104 KSIs in 52 countries in 2020 as part of its efforts to spread and popularize the Korean language and culture across the world. The casebook featuring stories from the dispatched teachers who are communicating with the world through the Korean language and culture will be published in mid-February.

photo

▲ Park Tae-ho (left), a teacher at KSI Hanoi I, Vietnam and Quynh who won the Korean speech contest